How secure is a browser storing a password?

Whenever I enter a login into a new site, Chrome asks me if it should store the login details. I used to believe this was fairly secure. If someone found my computer unlocked, they could get past the login screen for some website using the stored details, but if asked for the password again like during checkout, or if they wanted to login to the service from another device, they would be sol.

At least, that's what I used to think when I believed the browser did not store the password itself, but a hash or encryption of the password. I have noticed that the browser fills the username and password fields, and the password field indicates the number of characters in the password.

I'm one of those people who when asked to change their password just keeps the same password, but changes a number at the end. I know this is bad, but with how often I am asked to change passwords, I really could not remember the number of passwords expected of me. This results in a lot of passwords that are the same, but sometimes I forget what the end number needs to be for a particular login.

I could not remember the ending number for a certain login, so I went to a website where the password was stored. I deleted the last couple of characters and tried different numbers and viola, knew what was the right ending number.

It seems to me that this is a fundamental security flaw. If I can check the last character of my password without checking any others, then the amount of tries it takes to crack the password grows linearly with the number of characters not exponentially. It seems like a short stride from there to say that if someone came to my computer when it was unlocked, a simple script could extract all of the stored passwords for all of the major websites which I have passwords stored for.

Is this not the case? Is there some other layer of security that would prevent this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 ways employees can risk your firm’s cybersecurity (and what to do about it)

H]ardOCP: Google Is Hurting Themselves with Their Poor Support of Windows

Scientists Discover Unlikely Source Of Electricity